Monday 30 July 2012

Blog 1 - Questions...

First Question...
Who decided that a rose is a beautiful flower and should be attributed such prestige and to love?  Do you like roses? Not everyone does. I prefer gerberas and had them in my wedding bouquet, no rose to be seen. And I love camellias. They're as pretty as roses. Camellias mean love to me as they were growing in my Nana's garden and I loved her dearly. My mother loves chrysanthemums. Maybe you like daisies or carnations or African violets.


Second Question and Third Question...
Is a ham sandwich better than a cheese sandwich? Is broccoli better than cauliflower?

Still more questions...
Who decided what a beautiful face looks like? Is it a face with high cheekbones, dimples, a heart shaped face, smooth skin, pumped lips, a botoxed forehead? Scientists have identified a formula for calculating the most 'beautiful face'. If you haven't heard of this click below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6838450/Scientists-find-formula-for-beautiful-face.html

According to the formula, Jessica Alba, Liz Hurley and Shania Twain are perfectly beautiful. Do you agree?


Just like the type of flower you like, the type of sandwich, the vegetable, or who you think is beautiful.... it is an individual opinion. Is there a right or wrong answer? Probably not but there are people who will adamantly say that one is better than the other and put up all sorts of reasons for their justification.

When you are born with a facial difference or a syndrome such as Downs, people's perceptions of how beautiful you are are forced upon you. How you are treated, the stares people give or the avoidance, the bullying, or even the help and support, all tell you what they think of how you look and the value they place on your life. Strangers particularly will form an opinion of you without even knowing you. Friends and family who know you will usually have a completely different opinion of you...is a rose better than a camellia?
After so many questions and jabbering on....welcome to my blog. This is the story of my journey. And yes I was born with a face that was different... and I have children with a facial difference and I have a child with Down syndrome.

Have you already formed an opinion of me?


This is a brief overview of what my blog will be talking about:

I was born in the 1960s in a small country town in Australia,. I was born with Crouzon syndrome - a rare craniofacial syndrome. I grew up in a time where disabilities or differences were not tolerated very well. These children were often hidden away from society.
My life was saved as a baby.
I was bullied often at primary and high school and regularly felt rejected because of how my face looked. I underwent pioneering reconstructive facial surgeries in an attempt to fit into society's standard of what is acceptable for a face to look like.
After high school I studied to become a primary school teacher.
My first 13 year relationship was verbally and emotionally abusive. I followed what I had always known.
Eventually with great courage, I left.  
I married a kind, loving man who I found on the Internet. 
We have three beautiful children - two have Crouzon syndrome and my youngest has Down syndrome. My children have had a lot of operations and therapies. The local hospital is our second home. 

My blog will also be showing how my faith in God has helped me to find joy in my life. Even though it is a hard life, there is always something to be positive and happy about



Come along and share the joys, sorrows, triumphs and tribulations of my life. Experience the growth of my faith.....and also my questioning of society's values.


© 2012 by Jenny Woolsey
No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior permission.
If you can help me turn this blog into a book please contact me.

4 comments:

  1. dear jenny ... keep the spirit, the child is love, the grace of god ...... (god be with you and your family)regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berenice (Duckworth) Skidmore31 July 2012 at 04:53

    well done Jenny...a lovely start and will probably end up being very theraputic for you and no doubt emotional...i wish you well and look forward to reading further <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Aunt Jenny! Great blog! Nice background, pretty photo of you and even more important - great content! ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny.Twenty months ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. She was diagnosed with Crouzon Syndrome 3 months later. While I was trying to cope with alot of the information given to me and ofcourse fears for my daughter, it was very hard because no one seemed to be familiar with Crouzon's in the town I live in. I then found your video on You Tube which helped me out tremendosly to get others to understand what Crouzon Syndrome is. I was also even more pleased to see you have started a group on Facebook! I live in Canada and havent been able to find any books on Crouzon Syndrome at all. I would be more then interested in reading your book. Its a person like you that gave me the strength to realize that everything is going to be ok:)

    ReplyDelete