Friday 26 May 2017

Blog 88 - Face Equality Day

Facc Equality Day - the UK


The 26th of May is Face Equality Day in the UK. It is a day to raise awareness of what people with a facial difference or disfigurement have to deal with on a daily basis. I was fortunate that after my last surgery at 18, I didn't endure too many stares or teasing. I only really endured 18 years of daily stares, pointing, and comments. Some people endure a lifetime. Tulsi's story highlights this. The lady who is filmed has a facial disfigurement and the film shows what happens to her each day as she moves around her community. This is what I experienced as a child and teenager. I am thankful that I do not experience it now, but I am fully aware that there are many people in the world, like Tulsi, who will never escape it. 
On this day, please take a minute to think about how you react to other people's differences. Are you choosing to be kind? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment